Monday, February 2, 2009

My First Bio Lab Experience

I feel like a boy on his first date. As the whirlwind of stuff that I must learn in the coming months is quickly explained to me I wonder to myself, "This is a nice place. I can envision a continuing collaboration with these folk. I can't wait to settle down and become a more permanent fixture. I don't want to meet her dad though..." Whoops wrong side of the analogy.

I don't want to start making assumptions (I may end up hating biology), but the atmosphere is very nice. I think I just need to take it slow.

First things first, keep everything clean! This is going to be the hardest part for me to get used to. That and not dropping everything. Despite my pretty good hand-eye coordination, I am pretty clumsy. I am also forgetful which makes the sanitizing part difficult. I am organized though so that should be pretty useful.

I do have minimal experience in a wet lab setting. At KochLab, we will perform minor bio-prep for experimentation on the microscope and that I have done many times. The procedure we follow is called tethering and the protocols we employ can be found on the wiki (too lazy to link). Everything that I am currently embarking, however, is completely new. I am going to have to learn to run in this lab. It is a good thing that Kelly has decided to mentor me in the techniques needed for this project.

I hope all goes well and I do become a more permanent fixture of this lab (Osley). More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.